World Urbanism Day 2023: History And How to Observe?
The importance of designing and constructing livable neighborhoods is commemorated and promoted on November 8th as World Urbanism Day. World Town Planning Day is also celebrated on November 8, 2023.
“urbanism” refers to how people in urban areas interact with their surroundings. Towns, cities, and other places with large populations are all considered urban areas. The goal of urban design is to make the community comfortable and livable for its residents. Urban planning also promotes organized growth.
- These common factors exist in the most livable and healthy communities.
- Give people the opportunity to live a happy life by providing plenty of options.
- Its economy and the quality of its environment should be maintained or improved.
- The desire to make residents’ health better.
- For its occupants, provide a range of housing options.
- Provide plenty of pathways for walking, biking, and spending time outside.
- Provide public transportation to everyone who wants it, at a price they can afford.
- Schools, food establishments, retail malls, parks, recreational facilities, and fitness centers are all located within this area.
- Societies are better equipped to deal with population expansion and climate change when all of these elements are present.
Osaka, Tokyo, Perth, Zurich, Geneva, Melbourne, and Brisbane are some of the world’s most healthy and livable cities. Auckland, New Zealand is the city with the greatest population. These municipal planners must be doing a fantastic job! Tripoli, Algiers, Dhaka, Port Moresby, and Lagos are the least livable cities on the other end of the spectrum. Damascus, Syria, is the least livable city on Earth.
WORLD URBANISM DAY HISTORY
World Town Planning Day was established in 1949 by the late Professor Carlos Maria Della Paolera of the University of Buenos Aires. In Argentina, he was also a civil engineer and a member of the national geography committee. The day was eventually renamed World Urbanism Day in honor of the event. Over 30 countries from four continents are now participating.
HOW TO OBSERVE #WorldUrbanismDay
To help the public better understand the importance of urban planning, planning associations around the world organize educational events. Residents are urged to join public health networks, get involved in local planning initiatives during such events, and connect with other residents. It is necessary to sign up in order to compete.
- Better accessibility for the disabled or additional walking paths are examples of ideas to enhance things in your neighborhood.
- Attend city council and county commissioner meetings to get involved in urban planning.
- Jane Jacobs, Lewis Mumford, Robert Moses, and Naomi Klein are just a few of the important urbanists you’ll read about.
- Compare your town to others in the health and livability rankings.
Use #WorldUrbanismDay to increase awareness of this day on social media.
Considering the fact that more than half of the people in the world live in urban areas and most of them are migrants who often face challenges related to sanitation and safety, World Urbanism Day is a step towards ensuring that all these problems are addressed.
To observe this day with poignancy and awareness, we encourage everyone to do their bit to create a better environment for our cities as well as society at large.
Read More: World Tsunami Awareness Day, World Homeless Day, World Mental Health Day, World Pharmacists Day